With the close of 2019, the Northern Michigan Chamber Alliance felt it was important to look back and reflect on the key action items and impacts from the past year.
- Advanced the development of rural economic development policy and draft legislation. Specifically:
- Rural housing payment in lieu of taxes program
- Rural business incentive tiers
- Rural talent relocation and remote worker tax credit
- Employer assisted housing tax credit
- Launched the Rural Affairs and Development (RAAD) campaign to create a rural cabinet-level position within the Governor’s administration.
- Launched and grew regional coalition to advocate for RAAD and rural development policy.
- Grew the Northern Michigan Policy Conference to over 125 attendees and keynote speakers from across the Midwest.
- Impactful advocacy and public statements defending rural issues and funding during Michigan’s unique and historic 2019-2020 budget standoff.
We are excited to provide more leadership for northern Michigan and rural economic growth in 2020. Onward!